girraffe

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Gestational Diabetes

I found out last Monday that I do in fact have gestational diabetes. I have to say that I did not react to this news very well. I have been struggling with this. Selfishly I feel like I have been through enough to become pregnant and I have been poked with too many needles at this point, due to IVF, to want to think about having to do that anymore. I know in my heart that I should be so thankful that I have a healthy baby inside of me and should not be so frustrated with this but it was hard to come to terms with.

After the initial shock of finding out that this is going to be a part of my pregnancy experience I have been dealing with this much better. I have to completely trust God for the health and safety of this baby. I feel that this is just another step in learning to fully trust Him. I learned so much about trusting him in becoming pregnant and now I will just continue to trust that He has a perfect plan.

I met with a diabetic nutritionist last week and while I will not get to eat all the good things that I was looking forward to eating while pregnant (since I had a good excuse) it will cause me to eat much more healthy. I am now checking my blood sugar 4 times per day and have been managing it pretty well since I began doing this on Wednesday. I will begin being hooked up to a monitor once a week starting week 31 (I am 30 weeks today) so that they can monitor Reese's stress due to the diabetes as well as her heart beat. I think that there are other things that they will be looking for but I am unsure of what all of that is and plan to ask at my Dr.'s appointment this week. I am hoping that I will be able to continue to manage the diabetes with diet alone and will not have to begin taking insulin shots, we will see.

I am truly grateful for this pregnancy and trust that God is going to protect Reese completely!

No comments:

Post a Comment