girraffe

Monday, March 14, 2016

Dear Reese and Ella

I've decided to start something new and to do it regularly on here, similar to the "random updates on a Monday". It will be called "dear Reese and Ella". I want them to know what I am thinking (Neal too if I can get him to write a few lines) and feeling about them on a regular basis, maybe yearly.

So here goes the 1st one.

I recently read a Jen Hatmaker book and she does a whole chapter called dear kids, this is what inspired this. I loved every part of it and thought about how much her kids will love looking back on it one day. Her number one goals for her kids is to be kind, be you and love Jesus. I am going to shamelessly steal that as my ultimate goals for you Reese and Ella.

Without kindness we have failed as parents. I desperately want you to be kind to everyone. I want you to win people's hearts for the Lord because they see your kindness and know there is something different about you and want that for themselves. I want you to love the lonely, hurt and afflicted as you grow up causing them to feel valued and appreciated and in return gaining so much yourself from those relationships. Growing up years will be hard. Being a girl in the midst of a "mean girl" culture we seem to live in will be hard and the last thing I want is for my children to be the ones making it harder for anyone else. You both are such kind and empathetic souls. Reese is often reporting of helping someone at school and Ella recently asked why some people don't have homes and if we could just let them all come live with us since we have a house. Oh sweet, sweet girl how I wish it was that simple. I hope and pray that you continue to grow into kind people who see hurting people and do not ignore them. I also hope that I do a better job of this as well.

I never want you to try to be anyone other than who you are. You will never be happy pretending to be something other than yourself. The desire to be liked and popular during the growing up years will likely be there. You both have so much to offer just as you are and I really hope you do not attempt to change who you are. You are both so amazing and most will love you just as you are...you won't need the others if they are trying to influence you to be something you are not.

Love Jesus with everything you are. You are His and He has your future in His hands. I trust this fully and hope that you will too. There are so many things I worry about when it comes to you two but I too need to and try to give these things to Him. He loves you more than your dad and I do and that absolutely boggles my mind because we love you two more than I ever imagined was even possible. 

Reese, you are so loving, caring and full of life. You are so stubborn and I know exactly where you get it from 😬. You are incredibly passionate and you love your friends so well. You are a bit dramatic and you don't often pick your battles, you fight them all...although you are beginning to pick more as you are getting older. You have lots of dreams and plans. You actually love to plan. You are completely unreasonable when you are hungry or tired and I definitely know where that came from. You are so much like me it isn't even funny and I believe that is why we butt heads at times but I love you more than you can imagine and these things will all serve you well one day (once you learn to be a bit more rational in your reactions).

Ella, you are so funny. You have comedic timing and wit that probably came from your dad more than me. You are sweet and funny and you love to snuggle, please always love to snuggle. You have such a tender spirit and we hardly have to discipline you for doing something wrong. When we do you often beat yourself up for what you did for far longer than you should. We are working on how to navigate this because you are such a sweet tender hearted girl that doesn't deserve the punishment you often put on yourself. You love your family (including the dogs) better than anyone I know. You are very prissy and princess loving but have recently become very interested in superheroes. You are so laid back and easy going and it is very easy for most anyone to get along with you. I am so in love with you and thankful for your sweet spirit.



You are both amazing and I am blessed to be your mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment